Tuesday, December 13, 2022

"Guess Who's Coming to Dinner"

 "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" is a film based on showing mixed racial couples and how the couples family's react to the relationships. As this was a time where racism was slowly moving to the shadows, white families still had issues with it.

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner - Film Review - Variety

As the film went on we saw how each go their parents viewed the relationship. The mothers of the couple learned to accept the relationship and saw how the couple loved each other. The way the mothers viewed it was that as long as their kids were happy then it didn't matter there opinion. The fathers of the couple on the other hand disapproved of the relationship extremely. They did not believe in marrying outside of their races  and wanted to try and protect their children from making that mistake. John's father was seen as more selfish, he kept on repeating to John that he had done a lot of work in trying to raise him correctly and he did not want him to throw it all away. This then made John feel guilty.

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967) - IMDb

John shows his love for Joanna countless times but also feels guilt for potentially breaking up Joannas relationship with her parents and his. Joanna is madly in love and would jump at the opportunity to marry John as soon as possible if she could. As a white privileged girl, Joanna has not been thinking about the consequences and back lash her and John will be receiving for having a mixed marriage.

Watching this film, I began to think about how difficult it must have been during this time. I am a strong believer on that you cannot help who you fall in love with. So being in Joannas position I would not know what to do. I may believe that I can't help who I fall in love with but I also put the respect of my parents before anything. If my parents don't agree with something, then I respect it and look the other direction. In my culture this is just what we have been accustomed too. Watching John hesitate marrying Joanna I feel for him because I would not want to disobey my family either.

Celebrating Sidney Poitier - GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER

Overall, I can see how John respects his father and I also see how much he truly loves Joanna. This film shows how difficult it was during this time period to be accepted if you married outside of your race. We could see each characters true selves and how lives were at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Discussion

America is a country known for its opportunity for a better and more financially stable life. As an 18 year old woman who lives in America a...