Saturday, September 17, 2022

The United States Supreme Court

I used to think that's the United States Supreme Court was just where you went if you committed a very bad crime. My young self thought the past few years when I started to pay more attention to the News and to social media posts. Little did I know I lived in a country that had the strongest court on Earth and followed a 200 year old Constitution. The SCOTUS contains nine people who are known as the Supreme Court Justices, they meet weekly to discuss which cases to accept and which to deny. As a group they only approve around 100 cases per year. This was shocking to me because I did not know how selective they really were. 
The Supreme Court: Current Justices | Supreme Court Historical Society                    
Pictured above are the nine current Supreme Court Justices.

Over the past couple of months teenagers in the United States have discovered more about what the Supreme Court is than over there years of education. Now a days you can just be scrolling on Tik Tok or any social media platform and see posts about the supreme court. Personally, I have learned a lot more from social media about the Supreme Court than any of my history classes throughout the year. The power of social media is definitely a blessing and a curse because you can get biased information as well as factual. Social media allows not only residents of the United States to discover decisions made by the SCOTUS but also anyone around the world. 

The most recent decision made by the Supreme Court that received the most publicity was their decision to overturn Roe vs Wade. People all over the world began ranting on all social media platforms about their opinions on the decision. Some users took this to an extent and started righting posts with explicit language and writing personal attacks on others posts. This then made social media platforms take a step to remove their accounts from their platform. For example, Facebook would lock your account and users would call this as being placed in "Facebook jail". You would see posts that state "Abortion is murder" or "My body my choice". These are just two of the many things that people would post all over social media to embrace their opinions. 
How realistic are the post-Roe abortion workarounds that are filling social  media? – WABE
Pictured above is a photo from the Roe vs. Wade protests.

Personally I am not one who is interested in discussing my opinions on politics or publicly voicing my opinions on topics like Roe vs. Wade on social media. The major thing that I have taken away from all of this the past few months is the amount of power that the Supreme Court holds. One decision that they make can affect the lives of an entire country. No matter what the decision is they are going to have to face negativity due to everyone having different opinions on different topics. as we saw with the Roe vs. Wade case people started grouping into Republican and Democrat sides even though this had nothing to do with a presidential campaign. As an American citizen I am glad I have had the opportunity to learn more about the Supreme Court and as I have gotten older I now have a better understanding on the amount of power it holds.

Sources
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWRoXYRsaeo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca8qSuWxcG8&t=622s

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Discussion

America is a country known for its opportunity for a better and more financially stable life. As an 18 year old woman who lives in America a...